Friday, September 11, 2009

Laundry Room Update

Updated Basement Laundry Room


Like so many of us, do you have the "pleasure" of a laundry room located in a damp, dark, sometimes smelly basement?    My own is actually currently in my damp, light, and sometimes smelly 1/2 bath, but it WAS previously in my basement and just *being* there was a chore, never mind the laundry itself.

Would you prefer this:



Or this?:

Photo Courtesy of Country Home


I've compiled a quick list of Cheap Frills for updating your basement laundry room.   Even just a couple of these little tricks can help transform it into a space that's a bit more tolerable.   I know if my laundry room was this after photo, I would find excuses to do more laundry.   Okay, maybe not.    Anyways, here we go:

  • Determine exactly how much space is YOURS.  And yes, unless you have others helping you with the laundry - it is most definitely YOURS.

  • Section out at least that much room - If you feel particularly ambitious, the floor COULD be covered with some stick on tile.   I am neither ambitious in general, or particularly handy, so I would opt for this option:  PAINT.   That's right - right below you on the concrete floor.  Even go really nuts and paint your section of wall(s).   I would recommend choosing very light colors - even just plain white for the entire thing.   Add an inexpensive throw rug or mat for some warmth and color.

  • For a great counter top area to fold laundry, try using a craft table or a folding card table.  Heck, even a pair of sawhorses and a piece of plywood would do the trick.   Paint that baby up too~!  Or simply cover with some pretty fabric, which brings my to my next tip:

  • Cover the opening that will be underneath this New Masterpiece with a pretty skirt.   No, not a skirt like you would wear.  More of a bedskirt.   But in this case, a table skirt.  Which probably has a fancy "designer" name that is escaping me...... Nope!  I just checked.  It's a Table Skirt.  Premade drapes would do the trick (try cafe curtains for the correct legnth)  Or even a pair of drapes that you can shorten.   However, another great idea would be to do a custom treatment (or should I say MIS Treatment??- Thank you Nester) and pick out a lovely fabric that you just can't live without.   Sew (or even just glue) a quick hem and use a springy style curtain rod to hang.   No need to even install any hardware!  This will cover up all that storage space you now have without showing off the clutter.  
  • A little footnote to the above would be the suggestion that Outdoor Fabrics would be best as they are made to resist water and mildew.

  • The use of the pendant lighting is another nice touch as well.  I'm not sure offhand how difficult or pricey this would be, but being the Cheap Gal that I am, I'd probably opt for a couple of inexpensive, BATTERY OPERATED mini lamps.

  • Hanging fabric along the walls can really soften the room as well - I love the cheery yellow used here.

  • The Ironing Board is even a lovely touch.  When not in use, drape it with a pretty tablecloth or any other fabric that may catch your eye!


  • Here's another idea I came across and really liked:   Have a hanging space above your washer & dryer with a bar for hanging *fresh out of the dryer* laundry.   Courtesy of Home Improvement Online:
  • Of course, shelving above would be a marvelous touch as well.   And don't just store your laundry "notions" there!  Accessorize the shelving with some personal touches - family photos, etc...   
    Maybe a pretty wreath or other wall hanging on your newly painted walls and this could become a place that you look forward to being in.   Until you turn the corner of course............
    But we'll tackle that another day.....................

.......Scrawled out by the Cheap Gal

4 comments:

  1. Nice Laundry room tips. I do have the bar over my washer and dryer and can't imagine not having it there. It just comes in way too handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW, this is a great post & you have the most gorgeous site here. I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make laundry more doable when you can do it in a beautiful space!!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't do anything to improve my laundry room...It is a seperate room added on and have to go outside to go in there and it has a lot of other items stored in there that we can't put anywhere else...Maybe some day

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say for yourself???

Blog Widget by LinkWithin